NHS mental health

Many people go through periods of difficulty in their lives. If you, or someone you know, needs support, there are services and people available to make sure anyone with a mental health problem has someone to turn to for advice and support. Find out how to access NHS mental health services below.

NHS mental health services

There are NHS therapy and counselling services available for people who need support for their mental health. NHS talking therapies services are for people in England aged 18 or over, to talk about their mental health.

NHS talking therapies service can help treat conditions like:

  • Depression
  • Generalised anxiety
  • Social anxiety
  • Panic and agoraphobia
  • Other phobias
  • Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • Body dysmorphic disorder.

You can speak to your GP about NHS talking therapies, or you can get in touch with the service directly.

Talking Therapies - Somerset

Somerset Talking Therapies is an Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) service. We offer emotional and psychological support to anyone – aged over 18 and registered with a Somerset GP – who is feeling anxious or depressed. You can refer yourself directly here via the website.

This service is free to all NHS patients registered with the practice.

Phone: 0300 323 0033


See things that Talking Therapies - Somerset can help with
  • Depression
  • Generalized anxiety
  • Panic and agoraphobia
  • Experiencing panic attacks
  • Caught up in excessive compulsions or thoughts
  • Trauma from past emotional, physical or sexual abuse

Mental health services for children and young people

There is help available for children and young people who need support with their mental health.

If you are a parent, guardian or carer of a child or young person who needs support with their mental health, then you can contact their GP. They will be able to help point you in the right direction to support them.

There are local services in the community to help children and young people. You may have heard about the Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) that help children and young people to cope with their mental health.

You can also visit the NHS website for more information about the support available and to get advice.

Social prescribing

Find out more about social prescribing and the support available in your community.

Book an appointment

You can book an appointment online to see your GP.